The Department of Nutrition of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was established in 1946 with the aid of a grant from the General Education Board of the Rockefeller Foundation. Support from the U.S. Children's Bureau enabled the first three students to complete a one-year Master's of Public Health program in 1951. From 1951 to 1972 students admitted to the graduate program in public health nutrition were required to have an undergraduate degree in food, nutrition, dietetics or home economics. With greater public interest in nutrition, increasing numbers of graduates from diverse baccalaureate programs started to seek careers in public health nutrition, and the Department began to recruit into the program persons with a broad educational base in the arts, humanities and behavioral sciences. In 1972 the Master's Program in Public Health Nutrition added a two-year track to admit students with undergraduate degrees in the basic sciences, behavioral sciences and humanities.
|Last updated August 14, 2012|